Sunday, June 28, 2009

Making a Hobby Pay

I have always enjoyed writing, scribbling my ideas and thoughts on a page, paper or electronic. I can't claim that it is financially rewarding...yet. But I am enjoying the opportunity to share my ideas and my thoughts.

Others I know have very successfully turned a hobby of many years into a lucrative career, maybe a second career after retirement from the traditional job. We often turn to the things we love doing and develop those into a stream of income. I have a friend who is retired, living happily ever after, and decided that she wanted to expand a passion of hers, creating beautiful artwork. She has taken rug hooking courses and waterpainting classes and is expanding her artistic activities. Something she didn't have much of a chance to persue when her children were young, her husband was building a career and she was developing her own career. Now is her time and she is loving it.

Will she eventually make money from this? Maybe, maybe not. But she is gaining enjoyment and to her at this stage, that is what she wants.

No comments: